About 1000 B.C. a notable prehistoric culture flourished on this Indian site in the lower Mississippi Valley. The Octagonal village terraces, the immense mounds and the stone artifacts were unique for early agriculture, prepottery people.Located in Epps, District 5, Hwy 17, West Carroll Parish.
The capital of a populous Indian Province, and site of the Great Mound, 80 feet high. Hernando de Soto arrived here March 29, 1542, and he later returned to fight his last battle here.
Located in Jonesville, LA, District 58, Hwy 84, Catahoula Parish.
One half mile west was one of four forts built by Confederates in May, 1863, to prevent the ascent of Federal gunboats on the Ouachita River. It was abandoned 1863, but was reoccupied in 1864.
Located in Harrisonburg, LA, District 58, Hwy 124/8, Catahoula Parish.
Hernando de Soto
Intrepid Spanish conquistador who traversed half of North America, died near here at the Indian Village of Guahoya, May 21, 1542. He was buried in the Mississippi River, which he discovered.
Located in Ferriday, LA, Dist. 3, Hwy 65/84, Concordia Parish.
Probable Site of Aminoya
Within this site is the probable site of the prehistoric city of Aminoya. After attempting to reach Mexico, Luis de Moscoso, De Soto�s successor, led his men back here. From here they started down the Mississippi River to the Gulf of Mexico in brigantines they had built.
Located in Clayton, District 58, Concordia Parish.
The Sand Bar Fight
James Bowie, wounded as a second in Wells-Maddox duel and wielding the awesome blade of his design, killed Norris Wright September 19, 1827. Modified knife later became famous as The Bowie Knife.
Located in Vidalia, LA, Dist. 58, Hwy 90, Concordia Parish. Concordia Parish.
Once an excellent bear and deer hunting area, this community owes its name to President Theodore Roosevelt�s bear-hunting expedition here in October, 1907. This hunt is said to have inspired manufacture of the teddy bear toy.
Missing , Replaced by #301. Was located in Roosevelt, LA District 5, Highway 65, East Carroll Parish. East Carroll Parish.
Originally named O�Hara�s Switch. Renamed Roosevelt in honor of President Theodore Roosevelt, who hunted bear in the area in October, 1907. He recorded his adventures here in an article entitled In the Louisiana Canebrakes.
Located in Roosevelt, District 5, East Carroll Parish.
Here in 1775, Francois Bonaventure, French Indian Trader, built a house on 2000-acre tract and named the plantation Old Cabbins He was well established when Don Juan Filhoil came into this region.
Located in Bastrop, District 5, Hwy 165, Morehouse Parish.
On this site, granted by the Spanish government, dwelled Tusquahoma, chief of the Choctaw Indian tribe of fifty families, from about 1785 to 1820, when the land was sold to Stephen Maddox and the tribe moved west.
Located in Monroe, District 5, Ouachita Parish.
Near this site was the Taensa village, visited by LaSalle, Tonti, Father Membre in 1682 explorations. In 1699-1700 Father Montigny made peace between the Taensa and Natchez and established a mission. By 1706 the Taensa were forced to move by the Chickasaw and Yazoo.
Located in Newellton, District 58, Linwood Plantation, Tensas Parish.